Oscar & Kathryn's Story
Yet if you devote your heart to Him
and stretch out your hands to Him... Job 11:13
When he was 13, Oscar experienced two traumatic accidents — resulting in significant but temporary brain damage. These accidents and the recuperation time left Oscar feeling depressed and useless, struggling with temptation to take his own life. He was desperate. Despite opposition to God, Oscar said that, “One day, I called out to Jesus and I asked him, ‘God, what do I do?’ And I felt that God spoke to me. He encouraged me in the book of Job.”
Yet if you devote your heart to Him and stretch out your hands to Him… Job 11:13
Heeding the call to follow Christ, he began serving in his community, eventually becoming hospital chaplain, marrying Kathryn, and ministering together at Loma de Luz, on the north coast of Honduras. Their joy is speaking truth into the lives of those who are sick and injured, helping them to see how God cares for them.
In late 2017, God sparked a desire in Oscar’s heart to learn prosthetics. Learning this vocation would allow Oscar to help prosthetic patients gain mobility, ability, and most importantly a full life in the Lord. In 2018, Oscar met a prosthetics doctor from Seattle who began to visit Oscar at Loma de Luz about two to three times a year. Together, they helped 30 patients regain mobility & shared the hope of Jesus Christ with them.
As he trains, Oscar continues to assist others with his knowledge — as in the case of one young man [name omitted for confidentiality purposes] who needed an amputation on his leg. He got in touch with Oscar and requested help. Oscar had him transferred to Loma de Luz where he received an operation that saved his knee and they set him up with a prosthesis. Through Oscar’s involvement, this young man accepted Christ and is now very invested in his local church! He’s walking well both physically and spiritually.
Will you pray for Oscar & Kathryn's ministry?
Join Oscar & Kathryn as they navigate this new part of their ministry at Loma de Luz!
- Please pray for Oscar’s studies and training and for the hearts of those whom he encounters.
- Please pray for Kathryn as she attends the local university to increase her skills as an educator.
- Pray that Oscar would be a vessel of hope to those who need both physical and spiritual care.
- Pray for both Oscar and Kathryn as they minister together in their community, that they would support each other and follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit.
Ways to Get Involved
- Pray – Visit cimissions.org and scroll down to the bottom to join our email list.
- Give Financially – Follow the instructions below on how to give.
- Go – Do you feel like God might be calling you to full-time missions? Click here to check out our current opportunities.
The Great Commission is not meant to be done alone... will you join us?
Cornerstone International has been investing in, sending, and covering cross-cultural teams since 1972. We are the backend support team for nearly 50 missionaries globally with footprints in over 20 nations.
When you invest in CI, you are directly impacting the world.
- You think about the highest impact your investment can make both eternally and practically—you want your donation dollars to be used wisely.
- You want to invest in high caliber people who are focused, determined, and dedicated.
- You’re the kind of person who believes everyone should have an opportunity to hear the Good News at least once in their life.
We need you!
We believe in helping people go to the nations in a healthy, sustainable way that includes ongoing debriefing and helping each mission worker develop a support team, both in prayer and finances. We do this by recruiting well, so we can send well, and they’re cared for well.
Your donation will support:
- The crucial support systems that allow teams to focus solely on their mission work.
- Mission workers staying healthy emotionally, relationally, spiritually and physically. This investment goes toward vital “member care” ensuring people prepare well, work well, and return well.
- Trainings where we engage our teams with practical insights, resources, and strategies to effectively reach the nations.
Please join us in this important work of holding the rope and empowering our teams globally to stay focused on the mission.
Support CI and our work today. Please fill out the donate form below. (It’s super secure and will only take you 2 minutes.) Thank you!